[Gllug] git "snapshots"

gvim gvimrc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 16:33:19 UTC 2011

This is probably rather basic but bear with me. I'm trying to get my head round git and hear constant references to the term "snapshot" without any explanation of what such an entity contains other than unhelpful photographic analogies. Apparently git is based on snapshots of the working directory but does that mean a complete copy of the whole directory is made during a commit? If so, the disk usage would be huge so I suspect this is not what a snapshot refers to. Too often I find git terminology is explained with other git terminology so not helpful to new users.

gvim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk