[Gllug] Fedora 14 s/w RAID issues

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Wed Apr 13 08:59:58 UTC 2011

gvim writes:

>After wiping the disks I set a 4GB swap partition on the IDE disk

Why? If you're even swapping 1GB, you're going to be in a whole
world of pain. It's sometimes worth having a small amount of swap.
But 4GB is *way* too much.

>Sorry, it should have been RAID0

Again, why? Despite the name, RAID0 provides no redundancy. You're
massively increasing your chances of drive failure affecting your data,
in exchange for a slight performance increase and the convenience of
seeing all of the disks as a single block device. I'm not seeing that
as a win.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk