[Gllug] Optimizing Linux for SSD usage

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 11:45:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 08:49:11AM +0530, Narender wrote:
<snip>
> Even newer gen spindle hard drives start to use larger disk blocks so
> that partition need to be on the boundary to get best perf. Latest gen
> OS should all take care of that. I personally tried windows 7 and
> Ubuntu 10 to partition and then dump the partition table and double
> check the boundary.

But beware that many of the cheaper drives (eg Western Digital "EARS"
series) lie to say that they are still using 512 byte block but are
really using 4K blocks. This is supposed to make it easier to use
these drives with Windows XP, but it messes up performance in other
OS especially when using RAID with mdadm or ZFS.