[Gllug] Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop console mode

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Tue Apr 12 22:08:55 UTC 2011

On 12/04/11 22:56, t.clarke wrote:
> I have been playing with Ubuntu 10.10 (Desktop) to see if it is a viable
> alternative to Windows.   One big problem is that the 'text mode' console
> screens use ridiculously small characters;  we need to be able to telnet into
> a host Unix system in 80cols x 25line mode, such that the whole screen is
> used.  Using the 'terminal' in the graphical screen doesn't work either,
> as resizing the 'panel' doesn't make the characters any bigger, just increases
> the amount of unused space in the panel.
>
> Is there any way to force the system to use 80x25 in the console 'text'
> screens (1 - 6) ?    I have tried resizecons and that doesn't work either.
>
> Tim

Hi Tim,

If using Gnome Terminal, you can change the Profile settings, or create
a new profile if you prefer. To change the default Profile, go to Edit
-> Profiles, select Default (probably the only one available), press the
"Edit" button, uncheck "Use the system fixed width font", and choose the
font and font-size you want to use.
Note: You could also create a new Profile, and just change the settings
of that Profile.

Alternatively, go to System -> Preferences, choose "Appearance" from the
menu, and change the "Fixed Width Font" there. I've not got Ubuntu to
hand at the moment, not sure that it's the exact route to the Appearance
Settings tool, but it should be something similar ;-)

Steve
--
Steve Parker
steve at steve-parker.org