[Gllug] london hackspace news / Cheap 2nd hand rackmount servers

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Apr 3 13:07:10 UTC 2011

On 2 Apr 2011, David L. Neil uttered the following:

> On 04/03/2011 12:36 AM, Nix wrote:
> Interestingly from my flat in ShepBush I found that the sheer number
> of routers and 'hops' to get 'anywhere' that wasn't actually 'in'
> London, slowed things down considerably for UK connectivity.

Agreed -- though this does very much depend on your ISP. ISPs who
provide links to anywhere other than the LINX may be able to get you
out of London faster :)

> Previously, when I lived in Auckland city I was only two
> hops from the national backbone and four from Sydney, Los Angeles,
> Singapore... but in both the UK and US there are comparatively huge
> numbers of hops/delays to route around and across the country!

Of course some of those hops to LA et al might add rather a lot to ping
times.

>> Also getting people who want to work in the middle of nowhere and have
>> the required skills is probably tricky.
>
> au contraire: I know* numbers of ppl who would like to move to a place
> where they can farm, (market-) garden, fish, or indulge in an outdoor
> life-style (and without 9-5, Mon-Fri being so hard-and-fast) - and I
> see one of those in the mirror (periodically)...

True. Same here. But apparently a lot of people *like* the city life. I
actually read something in the Economist this week extolling the Tube as
a peaceful place (!!!!) solely on the grounds that it didn't have mobile
phone coverage. Apparently not having room to breathe is considered
secondary to attaining such 'peace'.

>>   -- N., technically shouldn't be on this list anymore owing to cancelling
>>          his season ticket yesterday. Goodbye commuting, goodbye London,
>>          good to visit but not every day or even every month.
>
> Welcome to the, um, G__UG-sub-club Nix. I haven't been thrown-out
> (yet) and one can't become much 'Greater London' than by sitting on a
> sun-drenched deck over-looking the Hauraki Gulf in a beach/country

OK, you're a bit further away than I am :)

> community that receives good DSL speeds from a handy exchange which
> microwaves everything to the country's backbone (and within 6m is
> scheduled for FttC)

By comparison they're saying 'perhaps 2020' for my exchange going FTTC,
and it serves twenty thousand people in south-east England. As for
my parents, 2km outside a village in North Yorkshire... they're never
even going to see ADSL service, it seems. Even modems can't get above
28kbps, and there's a DAX on every line in the street.

The UK: the third world of connectivity.

>                     - but as you say, is one hour's drive to *visit*
> the country's largest metropolis/source of IT contracts/work...

These days it even has electrical power!

> (sadly one can't have 'everything': attending GLLUG meetings is a wee
> problem!)

There are GLLUG meetings?

--
NULL && (void)