[Gllug] Phone scam?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Apr 19 09:19:24 UTC 2011

On 19 Apr 2011, Alistair Mann stated:

> John Winters wrote:
>>  On 18/04/11 10:37, Alistair Mann wrote:
>> > I don't remember where I saw this (might have been the economist?)
>> > but with telephone fraud it can take upto three months to get the
>> > law to disconnect them. From a business point of view, it can make
>> > sense to start up a shell company that looks kosher, and wring it
>> > for everything.
>>
>>  I once had occasion to complain to ICSTIS about a premimum rate phone
>>  line scam and they performed far better than any other supposed
>>  regulatory authority which I've come across.
>>
>>  The line was promptly disconnected, all revenue was confiscated, the
>>  operators were fined a large sum, and I was sent full details of
>>  those behind the scam in case I wanted to pursue it further myself.
>
> To be fair, that was because they were on a premium line -- they're
> much less use against a company with a 'regular' phone number.

Both of these are probably because of the same phenomenon: the
regulators haven't been even slightly captured by the scam operators
because they're not respectable enough and have no economic power. The
revolving door will be operating between *real* companies using
telephone marketing and ICSTIS. So it's hard to get ICSTIS to act
against such companies. (It should be quite hard anyway, to prevent
nuisance complaints, as you said.)

--
NULL && (void)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk