[Gllug] Scanning to network attached scanner

Bob Giles thecorfiot at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 12:17:38 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I guess that I am going to show my ignorance here! I am looking for some
assistance with a scanning problem. I hope that I am not asking the
impossible but I am sure that somebody will know the answer to this!
(Even if it is only, "Forget it!")

My setup comprises:-
Three networked machines running Ubuntu 10.10 desktop. Amongst other
things connected to the network is a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo which,
unsurprisingly is accessible across the network. I have an HP C7180
all-in-one printer / scanner attached to the NAS via a USB connection.

The NAS works flawlessly as a print server from all machines.

I would like to scan across the network from one of the machines but
cannot get the all-in-one recognised by the scanning software. My
favoured choice of scanning software is Vuescan. If connected directly
to the scanner, Vuescan works without issue.

Can anyone suggest how to access the scanner connected in the way I have
outlined? I have Googled but to no avail.

Thanks.

Bob Giles.