[Gllug] london hackspace news / Cheap 2nd hand rackmount servers

David L Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Mon Apr 4 03:10:41 UTC 2011

On 04/04/2011 01:07 AM, Nix wrote:
> On 2 Apr 2011, David L. Neil uttered the following:
>> On 04/03/2011 12:36 AM, Nix wrote:

>> (sadly one can't have 'everything': attending GLLUG meetings is a wee
>> problem!)
>
> There are GLLUG meetings?

You (?carelessly) invite me to point-out, in true FLOSS-y style, that
there would be, or could be - it's simply a matter of someone(s)
scratching their 'itch'!
(or, my even making that a personal invitation!?)

Sorry I can't be there to contribute any more. Guess you won't accept my
increased vitamin-D levels as sufficient excuse/apology - nah, you're
only jealous!

Back-when, we formed a 'gang of four' to organise regular meetings, with
the idea that (a) no one person would have to 'do it all', eg Sean would
sort out the meeting room while someone else arranged the speakers...
and (b) when someone became temporarily (or semi-permanently)
'unavailable' the other three would/should be able to carry-on. I can't
believe the absence of me-Mum's favorite son* should cause the
carefully-oiled machine to stop-dead...

* she would point-out that having only one son, he is also her least...

Certainly I see that Rich contributed to this thread earlier, and he
continues to do interesting things with virtualisation, his
(unusual/weird - to me) choices of programming languages, and more
recently was 'published' getting into DHCP on/for VMs (IIRC) - and he's
by no means the only one of you GLLUG members big-enough and ugly-enough
to offer a talk that will be both informative and provocative (of a
lively round of post-talk (technical) questions and user-enquiries,
comparative packages...)!

Similarly if the CentOS crowd can get over their leadership issues and
actually publish v6, there's a couple of guys who could make
contributions...

Prior to departing LON's delights, I left a list of potential speakers
who had been sounded-out for giving talks - someone merely had to close
the deal with a date-time... Others seemed to have numerous
irons-in-the-fire...

I had seen email notice of occasional meetings being organised, but
mainly in pubs. What happened to 'the other' LON LUG, because that
seemed to be Tushi's modus operandi (see also Perl-Mongers)? It's not
much more effort to organise a (proper) formal meeting, given someone
who can 'sponsor' a decent-sized room (either through his/her contacts,
or in literal pounds-sterling terms)... (see also the LON Python group)

Little, old Auckland (population somewhat over 1 million souls (mostly
non-Linux and non-geek, they think)) manages a (much fewer attendees,
but) monthly LUG meeting with speakers in one of the FLOSS-supporting
companies' offices, an overlap/interface with the "Tangleball"
workshop/creative space group, plus the Uni also has regular meetings
(hearsay: I'm not on their email list)...

--
Regards,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk