[Gllug] Phone scam?

tid td at bloogaloo.co.uk
Sun Apr 17 21:10:06 UTC 2011

On 15 April 2011 15:17, Richard W.M. Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:
> It's "Oh yes I'll just go and get the householder, please wait, he's
> in the garden".  Then put the phone on mute and wait.  Record so far
> was nearly 5 minutes, although more commonly I only manage 2 mins.
>
> I don't think I'm going to break the 5 minute barrier without
> resorting to some sort of recorded message along the lines of "you're
> breaking up, can you repeat that ..."

This was a finely tuned game in one office I worked in, with elaborate
rules, but
the gist was that when a unwanted-sales-lackey rang in, myself and 3 colleagues
had to keep them on the line for as long as possible. We had one hapless fool
call back three or four times after being fobbed off with unfeasible
excuses like
the target person being trapped on the escalator etc. Particular scorn
was heaped
on recruitment agencies looking for staff to poach, and anti-virus
companies pushing
their half-assed products. I had to step in with my official manager's
hat and call
a halt when a sales drone appeared in reception claiming he had a meeting
with a Mr. Hugh Jorgens.

Tid.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk