[Gllug] Fwd: Advice for new machine.

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Wed Aug 24 14:20:34 UTC 2011

Hi Guys

I'm nearly finished refitting my cellar and now considerations turn to the
computer ... The machine will primarily be used for entertainment, including
processing audio and video files.

I'm looking for advice and comments on the following:

MOTHERBOARD (inc processor and memory):
I know practically nothing about current motherboards and processors, but
since this is the basis of the system I'd like to get it right. I'm working
from the assumption that processor power has out-stripped my needs so "the
best I'm prepared to pay for" - but what are the pros and cons of Intel vs
AMD? wrt memory, I reckon more is better but what considerations should I be
weighing up (I know nothing about memory technology at all.) I'm also unsure
about he variety of PCI card slots available.

DISPLAY:
I will want to run at least two displays from the machine - "normal" monitors
and either a TV or projector. I can sort out the display device myself - the
video adaptor is a different matter. I can imagine that I would want separate
desktops which could either be on the same login session or separate sessions,
They would necessarily be different resolution and aspect ratio, and
connection-type most likely. Does that entail separate graphics adaptors or do
multi-output models support differing resolution etc?

Thanks for any advice or comments - if you want more info then please ask...

Dylan

--
" '... but there is so much else behind what I say. It makes itself known to
me so slowly, so incompletely! ...' "

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk