[Gllug] Gllug Digest, Vol 98, Issue 6

Alec Battles alec.battles at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 09:05:28 UTC 2011

> Well it's not strictly legal for one and Apple haven't exactly been
> friendly towards the hackintosh community in the past so I wouldn't be
> surprised if, every now and then, some rug-pulling update they release
> arbitrarily borks everyones VM based system. For all we knock Microsoft
> at least they aren't hostile to VM's - as long as you're licensed they
> don't give a damn - probably because they don't sell PC hardware. The
> same can't be said for Apple - don't they still explicitly forbid
> installing OSX on anything other than Apple hardware in their
> shrinkwrap? If so I suppose you could legally run OSX in virtual box
> under linux as long as you were running that instance of linux on Mac
> hardware but bleh!

...to say nothing of the numerous suicides by workers at their factories.

"The labor practices in most of those countries manufacturing Apple
products would shock most liberal appraisers of Jobs' legacy. Apple
has continued to use a Chinese contractor, Foxconn, to produce its
iPads and iPhones, despite allegations of the company's horrific
workers’ rights abuses. Foxconn routinely forces it workers to work
two to three times the legal Chinese limit and to work in brutal and
often unsafe conditions that have led to many accidents, as Michelle
Chen reported for Working In These Times. These working conditions led
to 10 Foxconn worker suicides at the company's Shenzhen facility in
2010 alone.

The suicide problem at Foxconn’s Chinese factories became so bad that
the company put up steel wire to prevent workers from jumping and
killing themselves. In June 2010, the same month that Jobs unveiled a
new version of the wildly successful iPhone, the UK's Daily Mail
newspaper published a disturbing undercover report on conditions
within Foxconn's massive factory complex in Shenzhen. It's worth
quoting at length:

[W]e encountered a strange, disturbing world where new recruits are
drilled along military lines, ordered to stand for the company song
and kept in barracks like battery hens - all for little more than £20
a week.

In what's been dubbed the 'i-Nightmare factory', the scandal focuses
on two sprawling complexes near Shenzhen, two decades ago a small
fishing port and now a city of 17 million people."

(quoted from http://inthesetimes.com/working/entry/11863/remembering_steve_jobs_record_on_workers_rights/)

Alec
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk