[Gllug] Synonym Dictionary Products

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Thu Dec 8 00:32:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 10:33 +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience of (companies that provide) synonym
> dictionaries?
> I am interested it either open source or closed source products.
>
> Not the on-line look-up-a word type, but data provided as XML, CSV or
> similar that can be integrated into a search engine solution.

This request piqued my interest and I came across this:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32992499/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/t/search-engines-may-soon-kill-dictionary-sites/

Don't know when it was published however it does highlight that Bing
uses Microsoft and Google uses Princeton for direct definitions and for
third party definitions Bing simply brings up any additional information
it can find.

So start talking to a dictionary publisher or follow the example of bing
and just steal from a dictionary publisher.

I hope someone finds that MS has been sued for delivering unauthorised
content to third parties, it won't mean much but they should not get to
do it entirely for free. It would even be better if MS was giving some
kind of kick back to the dictionaries but I am not going to hold my
breath.

Justin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk