[Gllug] More rsync problems :(

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sat Dec 24 19:22:29 UTC 2011

Hi there,

I've run into a problem trying to rsync some files between two fat32
volumes. Naturally I wouldn't be using fat32 if it were avoidable!

The source filesystem is an image file recovered from an ailing 120GB
external hard drive and mounted locally, the destination filesystem is a
newer 500GB portable drive. During the sync I get a few dozen errors
like the one below...

rsync: mkstemp "/media/HD-PVU2/old_portable_drive/My Music/Bernard
Cribbins/Winnie The Pooh/.12 ? The Thing To Do Is As Follows.m4a.eguEF4"
failed: Invalid argument (22)

Looking at the files in nautilus they mostly have invalid/corrupted file
names although the contents of the files seem to be fine. Now I know I
ought to either write that image to another drive  or make a copy of the
image file and remount it read/write and scandisk/fsck it but there's
only a few dozen files (out of 60000 or so) and I was wondering if there
was a good way of saving all that time (it is Christmas after all - I
have cake to eat!).

I noticed nautilus is clever enough to simply remove invalid characters
in filenames when copying them and I was wondering if there was a way of
getting the same behaviour out of rsync?

Merry Xmas,

Roger

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk