[Gllug] OT: Police Web Site

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Fri Feb 4 09:58:05 UTC 2011

On 03/02/11 18:02, Walter Stanish wrote:
> Pragmatism ... ahh ... all of the above are reasons
> why input interfaces should rarely be done manually.
> Anyone who is still pumping out web interfaces
> manually needs to look long and hard at the amount
> of preventable bugs they are creating, the tedium of

Yes Walter, in an ideal world we would all use code generation and/or
frameworks that took care of all that for us. Back in reality though all
the web frameworks I've ever tried are either far too inflexible or so
heavyweight as to be overkill. I've never found a soup-to-nuts framework
that I'm happy with for web development - there are loads of them that
do 90% of what I want quite easily but that last 10% is often feindishly
difficult to bully a framework into doing. Often it would take me more
time to learn a framework well enough to customize it than it would to
just bosh out what I want by hand. Sometimes it's simply not possible to
get a framework to do what you need without heavy kludging or laborious
customisation unless you are willing to compromise heavily on the UI and
the one thing I'm not willing to compromise on is UI as that's the one
place I feel I can do a better job than what's currently out there!

Of course if you have a fairly prosaic / generic application to write
and you're happy with the default UI modalities that your framework
offers then they're a great idea. Horses for courses init.

Roger

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk