[Gllug] Secure filing system?

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Fri Feb 18 18:52:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 13:21 +0000, John Edwards wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 01:18:06PM +0000, Bernard Peek wrote:
> <snip>
> > A few years ago I went for in interview for a local government job
> > immediately after a data-loss scare. Apparently all local government
> > offices in the UK had been given a directive on data security and my job
> > would have been to manage compliance. One of the clauses was that
> > sensitive personal data was not to be taken off site at all under any
> > circumstances. Of course that meant that if there was a fire and
> > somebody died then all of the records of their next of kin would be in
> > the ashes. I pointed this out at interview and didn't get the job.
> > Apparently I'm too Bolshie to work for a labour council.
>
> Someone (you or them) should have known the need for off-site backups.

You've missed the point - the council may well have had IT staff that
had a clue about off-site back-ups, but they were determined to
dogmatically follow the "rules" no matter how stupid they were.

I'm a Civil Servant (actually, not usually so Civil, but you know what I
mean) and I see this kind of utter stupidity every working day.  If I
didn't need my spectacularly inflated salary, I'd go and be poorer but
much less frustrated elsewhere!

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk