[Gllug] Multi-voltage power adaptors

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 12:02:58 UTC 2011

On 8 February 2011 07:28, general_email at technicalbloke.com
<general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
> This type of power sensing PSU is relatively new and even the latest
> Toshiba's don't use it so the OP is in no danger of running into that
> problem on his >10 year old Tosh. Also, this type of circuitry it is a
> total liability on those laptops which do have it, to the extent I would
> never buy a laptop that does. Problems abound and I have never heard a
> convincing argument as to why it's even useful, let alone necessary...
>
> http://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/dell-ac-power-adapter-not-recognized
>
> AFAIK only Dell and the newer HPs have this but if anyone knows
> different I'd love to know, mainly so I can advise my customers to steer
> clear of them.

I wish laptop manufacturers would standardise on PSU and PSU connectors.
I particular like one PSU connector I saw. It was totally flat and did
not plug in any holes in the laptop, instead it used magnets to stay
attached.
So, if you accidentally put sideways pressure on the connection, it
would simply come off, instead of damage the socket on the laptop.
You could also pull the power cord in any direction you wished to
disconnect it without risk of damage.
The magnets were strong enough to keep it there for normal use.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk