[Gllug] Secure filing system?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sun Feb 13 19:48:34 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 07:21:08PM -0000, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Sun, February 13, 2011 19:05, John Edwards wrote:
>> TrueCrypt is the most obvious answer to encrypt a partition:
>> 	http://www.truecrypt.org/
>
> Actually, if you're running modern Windows and have suitable hardware, I'd
> recommend Microsoft's Bitlocker.  It DEWISOTT.

I thought I heard all the words that could be used to describe
Microsoft, but "DEWISOTT" is new.

I'm guessing you mean "Does Exactly What It Says On The Tin", which is
ironic because "Microsoft BitLocker Drive Encryption" does not encrypt
drives - it encrypts file systems. And you need a boot filesystem that
is unencrypted.

I guess Microsoft mean "drive" as in "filesystem allocated a drive
letter" instead of "hard disk".

I'm not aware of the hardware restrictions you hint at (apart from the
obvious need for a good CPU that would apply to any encryption) but
BitLocker is only available for the most expensive versions of Windows
Vista and 7 (Enterprise and Ultimate):
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart

I'm not aware of Microsoft making it available as a separate product:
	http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/bitlocker.aspx