[Gllug] Upgrading to grub2

Sanatan Rai sanatan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 16:40:16 UTC 2011

On 9 February 2011 16:28, John Edwards <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 10:27:16PM +0000, Sanatan Rai wrote:
> When you say @grub but doesn't seem to see anything do you mean:
> 1) grub1 can not load it's config
> 2) grub1 can not chain load grub2
> 3) grub2 can not load it's config
> 4) grub2 can not load the kernel
> 5) the kernel can not load the initrd
> 6) the initrd can not load the rootfs

Case 4) grub not able to load kernel. This was because I had
chosen /boot to install grub on, rather than /dev/sda.

> Personnally after battling with GRUB2 (v1.98) for a few days I have
> reverted back to GRUB1 (v0.97). I think the problem is in the
> update-grub2 script, which insists on giving the kernel /dev/sda1 as
> the rootfs instead of /dev/md0 (a RAID1 of /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1).

I know have two systems upgraded to squeeze and using grub2,
one 32-bit PIV and the other a 64-bit Xeon machine.

> The upgrade to debian 6.0 was also complicated by the upgrade trying
> to convert some files (eg grub, fstab) to using UUIDs instead of
> devices names, but failing in some places.

That seemed really worrisome to me as well, and I still haven't sorted
out the problem of managing services on Debian. Not sure which toolset
to use: sysvconfig? update-rc.d?

> So my recommendation at the moment is not to upgrade the minimum at
> the moment. Stick with GRUB 1 until you are sure everything else
> (eg kernel, initrd, fstab) is working fine.
>
> Apart from that Debian 6.0 is working very nicely.

    So far for me as well, except that I have to reconfigure X on the
64bit machine.

--Sanatan

--
Sanatan Rai