[Gllug] London Stock Exchange moves to Linux

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Wed Feb 16 09:56:43 UTC 2011

On Wed 16 Feb, Iain M Conochie wrote:

> On 16/02/2011 09:08, Jason Clifford wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 23:52 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> >>     I suppose it would provide basic employment for FOSS developers.
> <snip>
> >   Support/sysadmin staff are a different breed
> > from developers.
>

> Amen to that :)

   If we claim that Unix compatible is so much more reliable, the basic
conversion from another OS is more or less complete and everything is
settling down well, yet we continue to employ the same support staff
numbers, apart from saving us from subscribing to additional dole bills what
are underemployed support/sysadmin staff expected to do? Is the difference
as small as a change of requirement from 1/2 person to 1/3 person? Does the
unneccessary workload expand to fill the gap?

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk