[Gllug] Memory Stick Problem

Mick Farmer mick at dcs.bbk.ac.uk
Wed Feb 9 14:09:06 UTC 2011

Dear GLLUGers,

I'm running Red Hat EL with kernel 2.6.9-89.35.1.

Until last year I used a memory stick, VFAT formatted, to
move data between Linux and Windows.  The hotplug mechanism
detected when I plugged the stick into my USB port and the
drive could be seen as/media/usb.../.  I can't remember the
full path name.

Since upgrading to the latest kernel this no longer works.
Using dmesg and lsmod I get the impression that the system
thinks it's a SCSI drive.

I don't want to reformat the stick as it has important data
on it.  Can anyone suggest how I can revert to the VFAT
behaviour?

Regards,

Mick               /"\
                   \ /
Linux Registered    X  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
User #287765       / \ Against HTML Mail
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk