[Gllug] Multi-voltage power adaptors

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Tue Feb 8 07:28:46 UTC 2011

On 07/02/11 16:36, Iain Gray wrote:
> I too have had just those problems with my HP.
>
> I bought my generic supply from thelaptoppowersupplyshop.co.uk and
> while it did not work with this particular HP (as it was very new)
> they were extremely helpful and sent various replacements before
> admitting defeat and refunding me everything I had paid.
<snip>
>> If I was you I would go to amazon or ebay and buy a power brick
>> specifically for your 4080XCDT.
>> Otherwise you might run into problems.
>> For example, Some Dell power bricks use messaging over the DC supply
>> to ensure the correct compatibility between power brick and laptop.
>> I recently had problems with a power brick for my dell laptop. On boot
>> up, the laptop said that "the power supply has failed to identify
>> itself, laptop battery will not be charged."
>> After replacing the power suppy, the message never came back.

This type of power sensing PSU is relatively new and even the latest
Toshiba's don't use it so the OP is in no danger of running into that
problem on his >10 year old Tosh. Also, this type of circuitry it is a
total liability on those laptops which do have it, to the extent I would
never buy a laptop that does. Problems abound and I have never heard a
convincing argument as to why it's even useful, let alone necessary...

http://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/dell-ac-power-adapter-not-recognized

AFAIK only Dell and the newer HPs have this but if anyone knows
different I'd love to know, mainly so I can advise my customers to steer
clear of them.

Cheers,

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk