[Gllug] Getting a script to run at boot time on Debian Squeeze

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 19 18:33:59 UTC 2011

John,
  I don't have a direct answer to your question.
I have in the past had to deal a lot with SuSE systems which mount
network attached or shared clustered storage.
For the network attached storage, quite often we had to configure the
system to wait till a network interface was up and configured before
proceeding with the next stages of boot.
In the SuSE /etc/sysconfig/network scripts there are parameters you
can set, such as a list of the essential network interfaces which must
be up before
you continue.

At the risk of makig a fool of myself, in the SuSE init scrit
boot.localfs there is a routine called wait_for_udev with a timeout
set to 30 seconds
Someone will tell me this has damn all to do with USB devices I'm sure.

Also in boot.lvm there is LVM_DEVICE_TIMEOUT  set to 60 seconds

I would look for similar timeouts in the Debian startup scripts and
increase them, rather than arbitrarily setting a sleep.
Though I have to admit putting similar sleeps in to NFS mount scripts,
to cope with network interfaces which seem to take time to come up.
My hoss is hitched to the rail outside, pardners.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk