[Gllug] Secure filing system?

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon Feb 14 07:32:38 UTC 2011

On Mon 14 Feb, Rob Crowther wrote:

> On 13/02/11 19:48, John Edwards wrote:
> > it encrypts file systems. And you need a boot filesystem that
> > is unencrypted.
> >
> To drag this back to Linux for a second - this is exactly how drive
> encryption works on my Fedora box.  You need an unencrypted boot
> filesystem so that you can load the kernel driver that's capable of
> decrypting the other filesystems - how else can it work?

   I assumed that would be the way to do it, and then rely on some kind of
external key or keyword. However that would be the weak link, with lost
keys, etc, and there have even been demonstrations of biometric data being
lifted from glass and used to break security.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk