[Gllug] question about python/perl

Martin mherda at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 15:11:23 UTC 2011

Thanks for the clarification on frameworks. It's still somewhat
confusing. I guess I'd have to try one to be completely
clear on that.
I'm a newbie web designer. The few websites I've done are quite simple.
I code them in emacs (html+css+jquery).
I haven't used much php yet. If I do, it's for very simple tasks, eg.
including the header/footer in all pages, etc.
So to get a few things straight regarding frameworks:

1. I'd still code html+css+jquery in an editor by hand or do they have a
template system like CMSs (joomla, drupal) have. (I am aware that CMS
templates need to be coded first as well.)
2. If eg. it's a python framework (eg. django), do I need to know python
or is it similar to a CMS that you don't need to know the language it's
written in to use it)
Here I'm probably confusing a CMS with a web framework.
3. My understanding is that web frameworks are more for web
applications, less for web design (html+css+jquery). I'm confused as to
the nomenclature, what is a 'web application' ? Can you give me an
example of a web application? I guess coding some slides or navigation
menu in jquery can't be called a web application. It's mostly concerned
with the website's
looks.
4. I haven't had the need to deal with databases yet or anything more
complex. Does that mean that a web framework
would not come handy here? I mean you pointed out some advantages of
using webframeworks and I'd like to use them, but at this stage wouldn't
it be an overkill?

I really appreciate your patience as I myself get the feeling that my
understanding of web frameworks is way off and am probably asking wrong
questions.

Thanks

Martin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk