[Gllug] Secure filing system?

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 19:02:34 UTC 2011

On 13 February 2011 18:47, Chris Bell <chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>   My local council has been fined 80,000 pounds after the thefts of a
> couple of laptops containing insecure, unencrypted, data on residents. Does
> any secure encrypted filing system exist on Microsoft?

Yes.
1) becrypt disk protect
www.becrypt.com

Or
2) PGP® Whole Disk Encryption

There are even government versions of these bits of software that
protect classified data.

As "local council" is a part of government, the data it holds and how
it secures it should probably be controlled by government policy.
I think the "data on residents" should be classified to at least "PROTECT"

Info on classifications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classified_information_in_the_United_Kingdom

It sounds to me that the council has not done a proper threat and risk
assessment on themselves.

Regards

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk