[Gllug] OT: Police Web Site

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Feb 4 06:10:59 UTC 2011

On Thursday, 3 Feb 2011, Alain Williams wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 10:02:39AM -0800, Walter Stanish wrote:
>>The summary is that, at least when dealing with users, rigid
>>rule-following (especially when accompanied with chest-beating
>>and assertions about correctness) rarely helps anyone.

Fortunately the person who implemented it made no assertions about
correctness that I noticed.

>	"Be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept
>	from others."
>Jon Postel

Quite. For example, when inputting a postcode, be conservative; use
uppercase.

Walter Standish seems to have output a fair screenful on the
assumption I said it _should_ not accept lowercase, which I didn't.
All I'm saying is, if you choose to input a postcode incorrectly, it's
really a bit thick to whine that the designers didn't happen to
anticipate you making this particular mistake. If they had anticipated
it, good for them, but that they didn't is not really indicative of
gross incompetence.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Aponoia, February.