[Gllug] asus eee 701

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Tue Feb 8 11:26:54 UTC 2011

Hi John,

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 17:52:49 +0000, John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'm interested in the answer to this one also. I need to put an
> install on my eee 701. The lxde spin of opensuse 11.3 didn;t boot
> properly for some reason. Maybe I will have to be assimilated into the
> Borg of Ubuntu

I'd imagine that Unity isn't to your taste, but I may be wrong.

Why not cut out the middle man and go straight to the source? ;-)

Especially since we released Squeeze over the weekend, which apparently
supports EeePC out of the box:

  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/InstallUsingStandardInstaller
or
  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Install

I've just updated the first of those pages to take account of the fact
of the release, but I'd imagine I've missed something, so if that works
for you, you could remove the Lenny references, as they should be
obsolete now. (or tell me about it and I'll edit the page).

I like the fact that you can simply dd the .iso's straight onto a USB
stick these days -- very neat.

To select an alternative to gnome as your desktop (lxde, say) you can
select Alternative Desktop from the Advanced Options menu, as mentioned
here:

  http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s03.html.en#pkgsel

I'm sure you have your own opinions on what's best as a window-manager
or desktop (I really liked xmonad on my Tosh Libretto, to the extent
that I'm now using it everywhere, but I doubt that's to most people's
taste).

Cheers, Phil.