[Gllug] OT: Police Web Site

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 14:10:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:

> Tethys is the name of one of Saturn's moons, I vaguely assumed
> that it might be related to that -- or is there a different
> origin (that you may want to share)?

Yep, that's where I got it from. I was introduced to conf, an online
chat system at my university. It seemed to be the done thing to pick
an online name that wasn't your real name, and I was reading Arthur C
Clarke's "2010" at the time, and Tethys had just been mentioned. I
liked the sound of it, so I used that, and it stuck. I've been called
Tethys ever since. That was shortened to Tet when one of my friends
was too lazy to type all six characters, so stopped after the first
three. That, too, stuck.

FWIW, the moon was named after a character from Greek mythology.
Tethys was the wife of Oceanus. I had an interesting time explaining
to the Admiralty that yes, I had changed my name, and yes, my new name
was derived from an ancient sea goddess, but no, there was no hidden
symbolism in that and no, I wasn't hellbent on sinking all of their
ships and no, I didn't think they should terminate my employment with
them as a result :-)

Tet

--
"Any sufficiently advanced financial instrument is indistinguishable from fraud"
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk