[Gllug] Acer Aspire ZG5 with Intel N270 Atom processor

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Tue Feb 8 17:40:00 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 08:40 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    I have been asked about upgrading the installed software on an Acer
> Aspire ZG5 with Ibtel N270 Atom processor, especially Firefox which says a
> later version is required. Apparently it is owned by an elderly lady who
> does not have a clue, and I was asked by a (currently M$ only) friend, but I
> have never even seen one. Does anyone on the list have experience with
> these?

Yes.  I have one.  It runs Ubuntu "netbook edition" flawlessly.

I also bought one for my sister, which came with XP pre-installed.  Her
kids managed to tie XP up in knots, and it was soon so riddled with
malware that it was easiest to reformat the HDD and install a proper
operating system.  She runs "Mint" on hers and has no problems with it,
and the kids each have a "Guardian"-controlled username.

My only complaint is that an 8.9" screen is a bit small, but it's
certainly enough for most people, and it's a convenient little machine
to take on planes and so on.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk