[Gllug] OpenChange and SOGo

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 19:06:25 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 04:18:20PM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> I have been browsing these for a few minutes ... they seem to provide a solution
> to that holy grail of a 100% free alternative to MS Exchange that I can run on a
> Linux box - that will talk to MS Outlook and things like Thunderbird.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any real experience with them, before I waste
> a lot of time:

A colleague of mine was looking at it yesterday. If I recall
correctly it uses the MAPI protocol and needs Samba v4 to run.
But at the moment Samba v4 is still in alpha release and will
probably take a while before being ready for production use.

Zarafa is a similar project and we have been using the Z-Push
component to sync mobile phones that support the Microsoft
ActiveSync protocol with exist IMAP, LDAP and CalDAV servers.

Z-Push works OK most of the time (though some mobiles have bugs)
but I've not used the full Zarafa project. It seems to be very
much aimed at Outlook instead of the wider range of clients that
OpenChange/SOGo look to support.