[Gllug] OpenChange and SOGo

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Feb 2 12:23:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 08:57:24AM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
<snip>
> I want a simple protocol that does the following:
> 1) emails

IMAP.

> 2) Calendar

CalDAV. Calendar items are very different from emails.

> 3) Server side email content search.

IMAP v4 has a "SEARCH" command for that does exactly that:
	http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3501#section-6.4.4

This is supported by most good email clients (with most versions
of Outlook being the obvious exception).

> 4) Be able to cache emails locally at the client, so that they can be
> read offline.

Sync'ing with a local cache is one of the main reasons for using IMAP.
How the caching works will depend on your email client.

> 5) If one email user decides an email is junk, automatically tag it as
> junk in all other email boxes.

That's a very personal requirement.

How emails are tagged depends on other parts of the email system.
Do you add email headers (spamassassin), move them to a different
folder, or set an attribute for the email client?

When you say "other email boxes" - are you talking about having the
same email delivered to different places of your own email folders (eg
many inboxes), or you are talking about having your decisions
effecting other people.

Neither are really things that should be put into the IMAP protocol,
which is for tranfering email between server and client, but should
by written as a specific feature for your own email server.

Most companies will do filtering at the SMTP level way before it even
gets to the inbox. Bad emails that make it through (false postitives)
can then be submitted back to the filtering system using some system
(email, web, etc).

> Then, the email client can be a lot thinner, and work just as well on
> a mobile device.

Is this thin enough for you?
--------
$ ls -al /usr/bin/mutt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 842952 2010-02-23 13:22 /usr/bin/mutt
--------

Yes, mutt is a command line client and would be awkward for most
people on a mobile phone. That just shows that most of the size
of email clients is not supporting the IMAP protocol, but the
user interface (especially the graphical part).

I think most of your complaints are to do with the IMAP servers or
clients you have used, rather than the protocol itself.