[Gllug] Secure filing system?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Feb 16 00:37:25 UTC 2011

On 15 Feb 2011, Christopher Hunter said:
>  Last time I had a lost Bitlocker key, it took us only about an hour to
> crack it!  It's appallingly bad.

BitLocker uses the TPM, if it can. Cracking the private key embedded in
that is... harder. Downside: if your machine dies, you *cannot*
transfer the disk to another machine. A rather big downside, given that
someone can still steal your machine and get access to all the data. A
plain passphrase seems safer to me, but I suppose all that TPM nonsense
needed *some* legitimate raison d'etre. (It's really there to help cope
with CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN, of course. But I didn't say that and this
email will shortly be automatically deleted from your mailbox by
entities I cannot describe.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk