[Gllug] OpenChange and SOGo

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Feb 2 08:23:52 UTC 2011

John Edwards comments about 'the document that was messed up last week'
strikes a chord !

Most of our plain-text document editing is done using an in-house editing
program (Cobol with C add-ons - don't laugh!) designed to be user-friendly and
many years ago I recognised that as a problem.  Consequently the edit program
always saves a copy of the pre-edited file to a temporary directory (and logs
the edit session) before re-writing it.  The facility has saved quite a few
people a lot of work over the years! The temporary files are only retained
for a few weeks or so, but this has proved adequate to recover 99% of foul-ups.
A cron job overnight gzips them to save disc-space - its amazing sometimes how
much a plain-text file can be compressed.

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk