[Gllug] Secure filing system?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sun Feb 13 19:05:30 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 06:47:07PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    My local council has been fined 80,000 pounds after the thefts of a
> couple of laptops containing insecure, unencrypted, data on residents. Does
> any secure encrypted filing system exist on Microsoft?

TrueCrypt is the most obvious answer to encrypt a partition:
	http://www.truecrypt.org/

It is under a semi-open license for no cost.

Of course the main costs is not usually the purchase cost, but
the staff costs for installing it, training staff to use it, and
planning for key and data recovery.

Depending on the size and morality of the organisation, I suspect
that some may think that not using encryption, taking a gamble that
nothing goes wrong (or are not found out) and then paying the fines
might work out cheaper.