[Gllug] Caller ID on a POTS line

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Wed Jan 19 00:14:00 UTC 2011

On 18 January 2011 09:01, general_email at technicalbloke.com
<general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
> I want to get caller ID info from my POTS line into my computer.

If I remember correctly, the standard calls for a reverse in line
polarity and then the caller's number is sent using standard CCITT V23
1200bps modem tones.  The circuit diagram I had involved connecting a
modem chip to the line and simply discarding anything that did not
look like a phone number.

Not sure if you have these:

http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm
http://www.sinet.bt.com/227v3p5.pdf  (Tech specs confirming V23
together with data format).
http://www.btwebworld.com/sinet/242v2p4.pdf

Construction plans, but without circuit diagram or PCB layout:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080526003451/http://hybrid.dtmf.org/files/uk/minibox.txt

I think you might be about twenty years too late!  There's a chance
that I may have a full copy of minibox with diagrams saved somewhere -
I'll have a look over the weekend.

Take care,

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk