[Gllug] Canon camera uploads

Stephen Ford ascdump at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 01:02:09 UTC 2011

> Nautilus reports Owner, Group, and Permissions as "unknown", both on the
> card/printer, and (surprisingly enough) on the NAS' disk after transfer.
>
> The transfer process itself is marred by "Error while copying "IMG_0007.JPG"
> [etc] = Permission denied, errmsgs on (not quite) every individual file. Yet
> if I "Skip" it copies the image (apparently quite correctly and completely).
>
> However the Freecom NAS appears to be choking, and responds sluggishly both
> to continuing the original mass-copy instruction, and to SSH commands. (The
> NAS runs a minimal Linux but exposes the disk through Samba/a series of
> Windows shares)

The error message you are getting could be many things, but my first ideas are:

How are you copying files that results in the "Error while copying
"IMG_0007.JPG.." error messages?  This, by a hunch, makes me think you
are using "cp -p" or rsync that tries to preserve the permissions upon
copy, even though the smb mount does not support unix file
permissions.  This is the one situation that I know that you see this
occur.  If this is the case, you can ignore the messages or ideally
disable "preserve permissions" with whatever copy method you use.

Looking at it in simply: This will mean is that you read the files
from the card/printer smb share (it doesn't matter, as long as you can
read), then write them to the NAS with whatever permissions the NAS
allows you to write the file with.

> Nautilus reports Owner, Group, and Permissions as "unknown", both on the card/printer, and (surprisingly enough) on the NAS' disk after transfer.
Nautilus is reporting "unknown" on the card/printer share because your
desktop user is not the same as the users the hp printer exports the
smb share as.  Nautilus is reporting unknown on the nas for the same
reason.

Other more complex solutions possibly exist but that could open up
more problems and complex to explain here.

When you say "sluggish", how sluggish relative to your other old
camera?  Could the slowness be your new camera or a slower memory
card?  The only way to isolate and confirm the problem of sluggishness
is to speed test your old camera and your new camera directly attached
do your pc.  The reason I mention this is that the problem of
sluggishness might be discrete from the permissions problem you are
seeing.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk