[Gllug] Caller ID on a POTS line

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Fri Jan 21 02:41:28 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 09:01 +0000, general_email at technicalbloke.com
wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I want to get caller ID info from my POTS line into my computer. It
> seems the only commercial system on the market is the CTI Meteor 2 which
> looks very capable but also costs £120 which I'd rather not spend if I
> can avoid it.

Not ideal by any stretch but a small camera runs under £10 and could
likely be clobbered into submission to "watch" a CID display and put
that through OCR.

If spending the money becomes required Linux Format(LF) made me aware of
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/reviews/sme-routers/2008/12/02/fritzbox-7270-39568111/
LF mentions that it has busybox installed which can be hacked to allow
adding of more features. I am considering it for running asterisk.

Justin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk