[Gllug] Problem with Skype

Rob Crowther robertc at boogdesign.com
Mon Jan 3 21:04:10 UTC 2011

On 03/01/11 18:55, Mick Farmer wrote:
> I've read the various forums and get the impression this has
> something to do with 32-bit/64-bit compatability problems.

You have to install the 32-bit versions of the libraries to get Skype
working.  Type the command:

yum provides libasound.so.2

You should get a list of packages, pick the most recent one and do a yum
install:

yum install alsa-lib-1.0.21-3.fc12.i686

I happen to have F12 on my laptop, probably a different package name for
F14, but make sure you include the .i686 to get the 32bit package.

Most likely there will be some other stuff you need too - I believe
Skype depends on Qt, but just repeat the 'yum provides' + 'yum install'
sequence for each dependency in turn and you should soon have it working.

Rob
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk