[Gllug] IPv6 allocation options

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 18 16:35:23 UTC 2011

On 18 January 2011 14:09, Daniel P. Berrange <dan at berrange.com> wrote:
> > between providers. This is only the first phase of cloud hosting. Looking
> at Amazon who are leading the market in many respects, you'll see that
> the next phase of cloud hosting is to actually design & build your
> infrastructure around extra cloud services. Amazon are encouraging customers
> to make use of things like EC2, Elastic Block Store, Simple Queue Service,
> and much more. Other cloud providers will no doubt follow because these
> extra services do make it easier to build scalable web services. The
> trouble is that all of them are non-standard, proprietry services, so if
> you build scalable web services on the cloud with this technology your
> IT infrastructure is now locked into the cloud infrastructure of your
> Cloud provider and thus cannot freely move to other ISPs. You have very
> redundant hardware and software services, but no organization/provider
> redundancy as you do with traditional ISP hosting usage.

Yes indeed. In the HPC world there is lot of movement towards cloud
computing, who knows what the eventual outcome will be.
There are plenty  of companies out there offering cloud services, and
the software package vendors are recognising this
with flexible 'cloud' licenses.
Regarding the point you make about lockin, I haven't been following it
that closely but Nasa are promoting their Nebula cloud,
built on an open cloud stack  http://openstack.org/   Don't ask me if
this actually works or anything.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk