[Gllug] Caller ID on a POTS line

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 17:07:48 UTC 2011

On 19 January 2011 15:05, Walter Stanish
<walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com> wrote:
>>> I want to get caller ID info from my POTS line into my computer.
>> Have you tried putting an old analogue modem on the line, especially one
>> that supports inbound fax?
>> I'm sure there was an AT command such as
>> AT#CID=1
>
> Yes, many non-ancient modems will handle this for you.

Watch out for cheap win-modems that rely on the CPU to do all the
signal processing.
For them to work in Linux, some of them require close source blobs
that might not work with the latest Linux versions.
That being said, I should not be too hard to write your own "reversal
and tone sensor" to get caller ID for a win-modem.
win-modems appear as ALSA sound cards mostly in Linux.

I have not used modems for such a long time now.
Have you considered VoIP instead?

Kind Regards

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk