[Gllug] Routers for OpenWRT

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Jan 19 11:45:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:16:51AM +0000, Philip Hands wrote:
> The alternative approach, which I've been reasonably happy with, was to
> buy a Buffalo Router that came with an external ADSL modem, although
> that does feel like fixing the black-box problem by getting a slightly
> smaller black-box.  Additional down-sides to that are that the external
> modem eventually packed up (I'm now using another router/modem in bridge
> mode, so that I can continue using OpenWRT on the Buffalo) and that the
> Buffalo's seem to have a slight tendency to react to attempts to write
> to the overlay file system by deciding that it should discard its
> configuration and go back to OpenWRT's defaults.
>
> That being the case, if you're planning on running a server 24/7 anyway,
> you might be better off just having any old ADSL Modem/Router, setting
> it in bridge mode, and running PPPoE on the real server, so that you're
> not limiting yourself to the crappy hardware you're running OpenWRT on.

I was thinking I'd need to buy a new modem that can cope with
IPv6 over PPPoA, but then I came across the conceptual setup
you just described, where you put the DSL modem into bridging
mode & just run PPP on the OpenWRT box directly which can
trivally do IPv6 over PPP already.

One thing I've been unable to get a clear answer on though is
that the DSL modems runs PPPoA to my ISP, but since the OpenWRT
box will be connected to the DSL modem over ethernet, my uninformed
guess is that I'd run PPPoE on the OpenWRT. So does 'bridging mode'
usually translate PPPoA from the ISP to PPPoE to the OpenWRT box ?
Or does everything have to use PPPoA, even though its going over
ethernet between the modem & router? Or does bridging mode only
work if your ISP offers PPPoE? The manufacturer's docs about the
'bridging mode' config option for my modem are of course completely
non-existant, and the interwebs give conflicting answers on this
topic :-)

Regards,
Daniel