[Gllug] Delayed data feed

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Wed Jan 12 21:41:40 UTC 2011

On Wed 12 Jan, - Tethys wrote:

> Does anyone know of a simple delay utility that consumes data from
> stdin and outputs it on stdout a fixed time later? What I want to be
> able to do is:
>
> 	mkdata | delay 30 | send_data_to_customer
>
> That will send the (time sensitive) output of mkdata to the customer
> with a 30 second delay. The amount of data I'm talking about isn't so
> large that I need to worry about memory usage, and buffering it in RAM
> will work just fine. I can write it myself, but I'd rather not
> reinvent the wheel if someone's already done it.
>
> Tet

   Optical delay lines are used to produce fixed delays in the range of
milliseconds in analogue systems such as in PAL video, digital video
synchronisers dump data into RAM memory which has separate write and read
ports so that the data write and read clocks can run independantly, while
broadcasters often need to use variable delays of up to a couple of seconds
to synchronise sound and pictures before transmission, probably using a
similar system. Perhaps you could use something similar, clocking data into
a block of RAM and reading out using an offset address, although it might
require a rather large amount of RAM.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk