[Gllug] Extremely strange disk imaging problem.

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 12:48:13 UTC 2011

On 20 January 2011 14:58, general_email at technicalbloke.com
<general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:

> Fdisk output before:
>
> Disk /dev/sde: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
> Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0x00000000
>

> Fdisk output after:
>
> Disk /dev/sde: 78.5 GB, 78518522880 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9546 cylinders, total 153356490 sectors
> Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0xe686f016

Now, I assume that you are happy to wipe all the data on this new
320GB HD as way to test.
If not, do NOT try this test.

My guess is that there are multiple partition table types and the
partition table that you have copied from the old HD is limiting the
size of partitions.
Try erasing the first sector on the 320GB HD, and thus wipe its partition table.

Take a backup of the first sector first.
dd if=/dev/sde of=mbr-backup.dat bs=512 count=1

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sde bs=512 count=1

Then see what fdisk says.  My guess is it will still say 78.5 GB, but
the test at least demonstrates that the problem has nothing to do with
the data stored in the MBR or partition table.

HDs have a programmable feature where you can make a large HD look
like it has different number of heads, sectors, cylinders etc.
This is mainly so that you can put new HDs into old machines and the
old machine can still work with them.
Think of it as a special "cripple" feature.

My guess is that you have updated you drive imaging program recently,
and it has implemented a new feature whereby it "cripples" the HD to
look exactly like the old one.

Another possibility could be that it has created a "hidden" partition,
that is normally used for recovery partitions. It is possible to
entirely hide these partitions from the BIOS. There are ways to undo
these "hidden" partition and one program I know that can do it is
"hdderase
http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

It should recover your 320GB capacity.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk