[Gllug] Extremely strange disk imaging problem.

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Fri Jan 21 07:10:36 UTC 2011

On 21/01/11 03:23, Andrew Farnsworth wrote:
> Having googled around and read a bunch of posts on this I found a reference
> to this:
>
> http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/hpa-issues.htm
>
> Looks like good information but not sure it applies to you.
>
> Andy
>

> --

Andy you've cracked it, thanks a million! This _is_ a Dell machine with
the staggeringly ill considered "Media Direct" partition and those
symptoms were exactly what I was seeing. I've since reset the host
protected area with Hitachi's excellent "Feature Tool" boot disk and my
disks are back to normal :D

Now, to clone that pesky disk again! Apparently the trick is to zero out
LBA-3 before it's had chance to boot and mess with the HPA.

I take it dd can be used to do that too?. e.g.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/stuff/80gb_image_copy.dd bs=512 count=1
conv=notrunc skip=3

So thanks once again, I owe you a couple of pints for that one!

Roger.