[Gllug] Delayed data feed

Richard W.M. Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Jan 18 12:40:28 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 09:17:24AM +0000, Nix wrote:
> As someone else suggested, doing this *right* requires timestamping each
> line and stripping the timestamp out later, which ts(1) from moreutils
> can do. However, moreutils doesn't include an actual delay-sponge
> (though it is a reasonable addition to sponge(1) in that package,
> though perhaps a separate filter delay(1) is more desirable.)

I'm glad to see that moreutils includes the command "pee":

  NAME
       pee - tee standard input to pipes

  SYNOPSIS
       pee ["command"]

  DESCRIPTION
       pee  is  like  tee but for pipes. Each command is run and fed a copy of
       the standard input. The output of all commands is sent to stdout.

       Note that while this is similar to tee, a copy of the input is not sent
       to stdout, like tee does.

  SEE ALSO
       tee(1)

Rich.