[Gllug] Painfully slow MySql performance on 64-bit Atom processor

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Jan 13 06:29:20 UTC 2011

I've been using a Acer Aspire Revo as a casual development platform for
a while.  It's very quiet and economical, but occasionally just a bit
slow.  The processor is an Intel Atom 230 (1.6GHz, single core, 32 bit,
1G DDR2 RAM) and it runs Debian Squeeze.

I thought it would be nice to have something a spot faster so I recently
bought a later model.  It has an Intel Atom D525 (1.8GHz, dual core,
64-bit, 2G DDR3 RAM) and I've installed Debian Squeeze 64 bit on it.

For most purposes the new box seems comfortably snappier, and it can do
a full Debian kernel compile in 1 hour 40 minutes, compared to just over
3 hours for the old one.  (Not that I need to compile one - it's just a
good benchmark and stress test.)

However, the new box is balls-achingly slow at running MySql server 5.1.
record on the old machine, whilst the exact same dump takes an average
of 44ms per record to load on the new one.

Anyone any suggestions why this might be?  Is 64 bit an "I can do it but
it's a bit of a party trick" feature of the later Atom processors?

TIA,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk