[Gllug] Defining 'hidden' file types in nautilus ?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Mon Jan 3 22:19:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 09:46:44PM +0000, Rob Crowther wrote:
> On 03/01/11 21:40, Rob Crowther wrote:
> > Nautilus will hide any files in listed in .hidden, it does not support
> > wildcards/regex in .hidden (as far as my limited testing goes, anyway).
> >
> Actually, if I'd mentioned that in the original post it would have been
> less confusing...

It would have been, yes.

> I'm on 2.28.4, do more recent versions of Nautilus support patterns in
> .hidden?

On investigation, no.  I don't use Nautilus, but I assumed you were
trying to give the best answer to the OP's question.  Since he clearly
wanted to exclude based on patterns (even if some of those patterns
matched specific names), I thought you might be suggesting something
that used patterns.  In fact, the Nautilus .hidden file would seem to be
quite useless for his purpose; not only does it not take patterns, it
only applies to the particular directory which contains it.

So the answer to the OP is either "No" or "Yes, if you're willing to
accept the ugliness of a cron job which walks your directory tree,
hiding these files from Nautilus whenever it finds them".

Nautilus does allow you to run your own scripts on a file or directory,
so a script that hid a particular file, or all files of a desired type
in a particular directory, could be written.  I still think that's fugly
and not what the OP was after.

--
Bruce

Hierophant: someone who remembers, when you are on the way down,
everything you did to them on the way up.