[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Sysadmin/Helpdesk/1st-line support

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 12:52:44 UTC 2011

On 31/01/11 12:26, Martin N Stevens wrote:
> On 31 January 2011 12:03, Oliver Howe<ojhowe at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>> If you work 45 hours per week then minimum wage comes to £13876.20 per
>> annum.
>> According to http://www.worksmart.org.uk/minwage_calc.php
>
> And that is how you have to break into the ICT industry without a degree now.
>
> And I bet there will be applicants as well, not very good ones, but
> they might get lucky and get a school leaver who is really keen.

I loved the line "TBA by mutual consent thereafter depending on what you are worth." shows the mindset of this employer.

I would have thought if you successfully complete your probation period you are eligable to be treated as a fully fledged member of staff and given the appropriate remuneration for the role? I thought that was the idea of a probation period to find out if you can do the job and that you're not an axe murder?

Given that the initial salary is poor yet the experience level expected is far more than monkey using a stick to collect ants I imagine the full time rate will be a trifling few hundred quid extra with the bonus of "You get paid every month don't you?"

2011 and we still have Dickensian employers.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon

IRC: dick_turpin @ freenode