[Gllug] Is there such a thing as reverse DHCP?

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 16 22:37:51 UTC 2011

On 16 January 2011 21:27, John Edwards <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:

> As this is for a Wake-On-LAN script I think the machines have
> probably been powered off for longer than the arp timeout and
> so are no longer in the kernel arp records.

OK then, make static arp entries for them.
Either select three IP numbers outwith the range of your DHCP, or
perhaps cleaner configure an IP alias address on your interface, lets
call it 192.168.2.1 for kicks.
Create a host entry like
192.168.2.2 able-wakeup

Gather the MAC address from able when it is up then:
arp -s 192.168.2.2  <MAC address>
 to set a permanent arp entry for able-wakeoup

Doesn't matter a fig what the real IP of able is, you can still reach it.
Hint - 'I've had to do this a few times myself, most recently to
contact a bit of kit I had set up for one network address range and I
didn't have it on that network at the time. Had to do an arp -s, and
once I got to the web interface on it I reset the IP Address.

I shall now unhitch my hoss from the hitchin' post and mosey off into
the sunset.
Gooodnight folks.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk