[Gllug] My god that Mark Shuttleworth gets everywhere

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Jul 13 12:34:32 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 20:34 +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> Interestingly, spies at Redmond suggest that there's revolution and
> sedition afoot - there is already an in-house Unix (which apparently is
> very similar to BSD),

It's no secret that MS have had an in-house Unix system for many years.
They had Xenix in the 1970's and 1980's and they retained 25% of it when
they sold it to SCO (old SCO that is).

> They then have a huge problem, with a massive installed base of software
> that is unlikely to work under their new operating systems.  Hence their
> reliance on the "cloud" - distributed computing is probably their only
> real way forward.

I doubt that. Microsoft knows full well that their future depends upon
controlling the platform being used. They cannot control the cloud due
to the already well established market presence of Linux and Unix.

> The next few years should be interesting (but I'd be sure to sell any MS
> stock you have in short order!).

People have been saying that for years. For now I'd want a better idea
of how the patent wars will play out both in the courts and the
legislatures.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk